One of the most popular espresso machines currently available, the Breville ESP8XL Café Roma allows the user to make great-tasting espresso from the comfort of their own kitchen. For many years, home-brewed espresso has been a novelty and many people only drank espresso at cafes and restaurants. The specialized equipment required to make café-style espresso was very expensive, and home espresso makers were almost unheard of. There were a few high-priced models available, but home espresso makers didn’t fully catch on until the 1980s. Today, a wide variety of home espresso machines can be purchased for the same price as a conventional coffee maker.
Right out of the box, the Breville can produce an excellent cup of espresso in a short amount of time. The device comes fully assembled, so the only thing you have to do to get it up and running is plug it in. The device can brew espresso with a wide variety of coffee grinds, so you can use your favorite brand of coffee to make your espresso. The espresso maker removes a lot of the guesswork from brewing espresso by starting you off with the optimal espresso settings and allowing you to adjust from there. The device is also very easy to keep clean. The stainless steel exterior can be cleaned with a damp cloth, and the drip tray can be rinsed out in the sink. Many users like to clean their espresso machine daily while doing the dishes, so the simple cleaning process is a much appreciated time saver.
- The Breville ESP8XL Café Roma is an espresso maker
- Measures 9 x 9 x 12 inches
- Weighs 16 pounds
- 40.6 ounce removable water tank capacity
- Two stainless steel espresso cups
- Two stainless steel saucers
- Stainless steel frothing pitcher
- Tamping tool
- Wattage: 800 – 1000
- 2 to 5 cups per brew
- Measuring spoon
- Cleaning tool
- 15-bar semi-automatic thermoblock pump
- Dual-wall filter system with froth enhancer and cup-warming plate
- External water tank window
- Removable drip tray and grid
- Front knob controls: steam, standby, and espresso modes
- One-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
Features and Benefits
The Breville ESP8XL Café Roma comes with a dual boiler, which heats the water in one chamber, and then transfers it over to another chamber to brew. The separate boiler for the water uses a thermoblock system, that’s separate from the other heating element and heats the water independently. When a handle is activated, the water passes through a steam-driven unit that forces water through the coffee grounds. Many older espresso machines use a steam driven technique, because it produces espresso quickly and efficiently. The system doesn’t contain any complex, moving parts, so a steam-driven unit is much less likely to break than other types of espresso machines.
The Café Roma produces espresso at the ideal brewing temperature, which helps ensure a great cup every time you use the device. The device produces a very smooth microfoam when used to froth milk, so the espresso tastes just like it would at a café. The machine gives impressive results while remaining at a competitive price. Similar devices can cost almost triple, which makes the Breville Café Roma an excellent deal for any espresso enthusiast.
- The new thermoblock heating system reaches the optimal espresso extracting temperature quickly, and it maintains that temperature without large fluctuations
- The dual-wall filter produces great crema and the device offers the same steam controls that you would find on a professional espresso machine
- The froth enhancer can make café-style froth at the push of a button, so the user doesn’t need any previous experience with espresso makers to make the perfect cup
- The water tank is much larger than other espresso makers in the same price range
- The water tank can be removed from the espresso maker, which makes refilling the tank very easy
- The device comes with a stainless steel espresso cup and a frothing jug, so you don’t have to purchase any aftermarket accessories
- The machine’s stainless steel design makes it very sturdy
- The device has a modern, stainless-steel design that will look good in any style of kitchen
- You’ll have an easier time operating the device if you’ve had some previous experience with espresso makers, and your experience level can sometimes affect how well the espresso comes out
- The machine vibrates when going through the final stages of brewing the espresso, so keep an eye on the device when it’s in use
- The filter can become clogged if it isn’t cleaned regularly
One of the best espresso makers currently on the market, the Breville offers a host of high-value features in a package that won’t break the bank. An excellent option for amateur baristas and espresso enthusiasts alike, the Café Roma can consistently produce excellent shots of espresso without being too difficult for the average person to operate. The Breville is also very popular with online reviewers and the device receives a score of four stars or higher on over 80 percent of all reviews.