Get yourself refreshed during a hot weather with some ice cream. The only limit you have is the nutritional facts to those scoops you consume. The solution is getting the healthy kind of ice cream. Of course there are healthy ice creams out there. You can either buy or make your own ice cream from home.
Healthy Ice Cream vs. the Regular Tub
If you love ice cream but hate how much calories and sugar it has, you can finally enjoy it without the guilt when you choose a healthy ice cream.
Here are few reasons why you’d love healthy ice cream over the regular tub:
- Healthy ice creams normally contain fewer calories than the brands you can buy from the stores.
- When you make your own ice cream, you have the control on what you put in so no need to worry how much calories or sugar it has.
- It’s also cheaper than the ones you can buy from the grocery.
Going For Homemade Ice Cream
Everything homemade is just yummier and more health friendly. Do you ever wish that you can binge on ice cream without worrying how much calories it has? Well, you can do finally do that when you make your own ice cream from your own kitchen at home.
It is not that hard to make and if you can follow instructions and decide on the ingredients to put in, you will surely enjoy the process of making healthy homemade ice cream.
Why choose homemade ice cream when you can buy from stores without the hassle? Now that is a good question. It’s best that you opt for homemade ice cream because of these reasons:
- Buying ice cream maybe less hassle but they have high calories and sugar which, in long term, can be damaging to your health.
- Store-bought ice creams are not expensive, but you will save more making your own delicious and refreshing ice cream from home.
- If you have diabetes, you can finally enjoy a tub without worrying about the sugar since you can skip adding sugar and use a healthy alternative.
- Ice creams you can buy from stores are not freshly made. When you make your own from home, you can enjoy the freshness of ingredients making it even more mouthwatering.
Healthy Ice Cream Recipes
You can make ice cream at home easily with an ice cream maker but you can also make this with your standard kitchen appliances. Below are few healthy ice cream recipes that you will surely love.
Buttermilk-Lemon Ice Cream
1 – 1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups fat-free buttermilk
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups whole milk
2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl, whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Add in whole milk, half-and-half and buttermilk together.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze.
Avocado Ice Cream with Chocolate Chip
2 cups of avocado chunks
1 banana, medium in size
¼ coconut butter or oil
2 tbsp peppermint extract
Fresh mint leaves (only if you want)
3-5 tbsp chocolate chips (depending on how much you like)
- Place avocado chunks, peeled banana, coconut butter or oil, peppermint extract in an ice cream maker. If you don’t have ice cream maker, you can use a high-powered blender.
- When all the ingredients are blended smoothly, place it in a bowl.
- While steering, you can add the chocolate chips gradually.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe bowl or container and set into freezer.
Vegan Treat Vanilla Bean-chocolate Chip Ice Cream
For the Ice Cream
5 large frozen bananas
1 cup nondairy milk
2-3 pinches of vanilla bean powder or whole bean of vanilla bean seeds
For Caramel Swirl
¾ cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp water
For Peanut Butter Swirl
2 tbs peanut or almond butter
1-2 tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips
2 tbsp raw walnuts or almonds (crushed/chopped)
Few pinches of cinnamon
- In a high speed blender, add in the bananas, vanilla bean or powder and non-dairy milk. Blend until it become thick and creamy. When it’s smooth, creamy and thick, transfer this to a freezer-safe ice cream pan.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. When incorporated well, fold in peanut or almond butter swirl. Place this in the freezer.
- To make the caramel, add the caramel ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Allow the mixture to boil for about a minute; don’t stop stirring while removing from heat. The caramel naturally thickens as it cools.
- Take out the banana ice cream from the freezer, swirl the caramel on top and fold. You can also add the pinch of cinnamon while doing this or make the cinnamon a topping when you smooth the top of the mixture.
- Fully chill the ice cream until you reach the desired state.
Enjoy all these refreshing healthy ice cream without the guilt and worry.