One of the most popular small espresso makers currently available, the Nespresso Essenza C91 offers the convenience of a modern kitchen appliance with the quality of an old-fashioned restaurant-style espresso maker. The device uses single capsule brewing technology, so you don’t have to worry about measuring out and tamping coffee grounds with each use. The Essenza offers only the essential features needed to brew a quality cup of espresso, which makes the device very easy to use. The Essenza C91 can also use a wide variety of single-serve capsules, so it isn’t confined to one type or brand. The device can be operated with ease, and the user simply has to be ready to stop the extraction cycle once your glass is filled.
The 30.4 ounce water capsule can be removed from the back of the device, which makes refilling the water tank much easier than with other espresso machines at a similar price point. The device also comes with a drip tray and a dregs drawer that slide out of the front for easy cleaning. The 19-bar internal pump and Nespresso Thermoblock heater are essential parts of the brewing process, and they are both optimized to produce excellent shots of espresso with each use.
The Nespresso Essenza C91 is a home espresso maker
- Measures 13.5 x 8.125 x13.5 inches
- Weighs six pounds
- Shipping weight: nine pounds
- 19 bar pressure pump
- Thermoblock heating element
- Manual volume control
- Backlit coffee buttons
- Capsule container
- 0.9 liter removable water tank
- Requires 1260 watts
- Preheating time: 60 seconds
- Manual coffee volume control
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
Features and benefits
To use the device, make sure that you’ve fully filled the water reservoir, and then you can engage the extraction cycle. Warm your espresso cup with some hot water, and place your favorite flavor of coffee capsule in the espresso maker. Activate the start button and place your espresso cup under the front nozzle. After about a minute the espresso should begin extraction and begin pouring into your cup. After the correct amount of espresso is dispensed into your cup, press the stop button to deactivate the machine. The capsule that you inserted into the top will be automatically ejected into the bottom dreg drawer, and you can lift the front lever to insert another capsule. The Essenza’s simple, two-button design makes it an excellent choice for anyone who’s new to espresso making. The espresso-extraction process requires very little user input, and the device only requires the user to deactivate the device when the extraction cycle has finished.
The Nespresso C91 also comes with manual coffee volume controls, so you can dial in the best espresso consistency for your personal tastes. While other espresso makers come with automatic coffee volume controls, many users prefer manual controls because they allow the user to be much more precise.
- The espresso capsules are easy to insert and can be ejected at the push of a button
- The device comes with a container for up to 14 used capsules, so it’s easy to dispose of the used coffee grounds
- The 0.9 liter removable water tank is large enough to make several batches of espresso, without becoming so large that it’s difficult to refill
- The water tank is shaped like a small water bottle, so it’s easy to remove, fill, and store
- The brewing unit is very compact compared to other espresso machines, so the device can fit in a kitchen of almost any size
- The device has a fast preheating time of about 60 seconds, which is much quicker than espresso makers at a similar price point
- The device comes with the Aero milk frother, which produces a consistent, high-quality froth with any type of milk
- The Essenza has manual coffee volume control, so you can set how much water passes through the coffee ground
- The device is very easy to operate, and it doesn’t require the user to have any previous experience with coffeemakers or espresso machines
- If you don’t properly secure the exterior water tank it will begin to leak as water is drawn past the nozzle
- Some users would prefer to use conventional coffee grounds instead of coffee capsules, but the device only accepts capsules
One of the newest machines in the Nespresso line of espresso makers, the Essenza C91 can give the user a high-quality cup of espresso without the hassle of using an expensive, café-style espresso maker. The Essenza also comes at a much more competitive price than other espresso makers, which has made it one of the most popular espresso makers produced by Nespresso. The device is also very popular among reviewers, and it receives a score of five stars in over 75 percent of all reviews.