One of the most popular espresso machines offered by Philips, the Saeco Vienna Plus combines high tech features with classic Italian espresso brewing techniques to produce a device that any espresso enthusiast can enjoy. For a long time, the only way to get a quality cup of espresso was at your local café, where a barista would skilfully operate sophisticated machinery to craft your beverage. With advancements in compact brewing technology, and the dropping prices of kitchen appliances, a large market for home espresso machines has opened up.
Many of the most popular high-end espresso machines are produced by the consumer electronics company Philips. Philips has a long history of producing quality products and kitchen appliances, but they’ve recently been garnering a lot of attention over their line of home espresso makers. The Saeco Vienna Plus is the newest addition to the Philips line of espresso makers, and it doesn’t disappoint. The device consistently produces excellent cups of espresso with minimal user input. The espresso machine is popular with many users, and it currently leads Philips Saeco as one of their top kitchen devices.
- The Philips Saeco RI97372/21 Vienna Plus is an automatic espresso maker
- Measures 14 x 15 x 15.5 inches
- Weighs 21 pounds
- Shipping weight 22 pounds
- Runs on 1250 watts of power
- Built-in adjustable conical burr grinder
- 15-bar pump
- Removable brew group for tamping, brewing, and dispensing
- 12-ounce bean container
- Opti-doser adjustable doser
- 15-cup capacity dreg drawer
- Removable 57-ounce water tank
- Stainless steel boiler
- Pannarello frothing device
- Finish options: graphite and silver
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
Features and Benefits
The device is super-automatic, which means that it will automatically grind the coffee beans, tamp it, and extract the espresso shot at the push of a button. The operator only has to fill the bean hopper and add water to the reservoir before they activate the device, and the espresso maker will be ready to function. This model also includes an automated milk frother that is very easy to use. Some people were concerned that taking away the ability to manually tamp and grind the coffee could affect the quality of the espresso, but the Vienna Plus comes with a host of grind settings, so you can dial in the best grind for your palate. The device also comes with settings for heat, froth, and cup size.
The Vienna plus is designed for easy maintenance, so the user doesn’t have to worry about constantly cleaning the machine in order for it to run at its peak performance. The drip tray, dregdrawer, and 57-ounce water tank are all removable at the push of a button, so you don’t have to struggle with cleaning out small spaces. The brew cap can also be removed for cleaning, so you don’t have to use harsh chemicals inside the device. The machine’s grinder is very durable, and it doesn’t require any special care or chemicals.
- The device can produce a variety of espresso drinks at the touch of a button
- The pre-brew cycle is optimized to produce espresso with the maximum amount of flavor extraction from the coffee grounds
- The espresso maker includes a Pannarello steam want that helps with milk frothing and hot water
- The OptiDose technology allows you to adjust the amount of coffee beans per cup
- The brew group can be removed to make cleaning much easier and faster without the use of harsh chemicals that can reduce the life of your espresso machine
- The 57-ounce water tank can be removed for easy cleaning and refilling
- The super-automatic espresso machine runs on 1250 watts of power, which makes it powerful enough to consistently produce high-quality espresso
- The 15-bar pump included in the Vienna plus can accurately replicate the taste and consistency of Italian espresso
- The device has a quick brew time, so you can brew a double espresso in about two minutes after startup
- The extraction process gives the espresso a nice body and thick crema
- The device can be used right out of the box without any extra assembly or maintenance
- The Philips Saeco Vienna Plus doesn’t come with a grounds full indicator, so you have to remember to empty the drip tray after every ten cups of espresso
- The device isn’t very quiet, and it produces a lot of grinding, cracking, and pumping sounds while it’s brewing the espresso
A superb espresso maker designed for the modern kitchen, the Philips Saeco RI9737/21 Vienna Plus can satisfy the needs of any espresso enthusiast. The device (wiki) is easy to use and simple to maintain, which has made it very popular with reviewers. The Saeco Vienna Plus scores four stars or higher in over 80 percent of all reviews, which makes it one of the highest rated espresso makers produced by Philips.