Advertised as the official partner of high-profile fashion companies in New York, Paris, London, Moscow, and Berlin, Rowenta has established a reputation of excellence that shows in all of its products. The DW5197 is a popular choice among fashionistas and DIY enthusiasts because of its design flair and many practical benefits.
The DW5197 is great for ironing, steaming, and pressing nearly any type of fabric. Adding a few new features, the DW5197 includes Rowenta’s patented micro-steam soleplate, which masterfully applies steam to a wide area at the push of a button. The more steam the iron can supply, the easier it is to press a garment, so distributing steam across the entire soleplate provides better penetration and faster results. When a piece of fabric is fully penetrated by steam, the iron simply glides over every wrinkle, leaving the fabric smooth and spotless with less effort.
- The Rowenta DW5197 Focus is a steam iron from Germany
- Measures 13.6 inches by 7 inches by 5.7 inches
- Weighs 7.6 pounds when full
- Stainless steel soleplate
- Soleplate has 400 microholes that distribute steam
- Clear tank with graduated lines
- Comes with auto-steam feature
- Operates at 1725 watts
- Self cleaning
- 180g per minute steam spray
- Built-in thermostat knob
- Ergonomic design
Accurate and consistent heating temperatures are very important when ironing, so Rowenta has included a thick central core of aluminum in their design to help distribute heat evenly across the entire soleplate. Rowenta noticed that in many other brands of iron, the soleplate would develop hotspots that heat the fabric unevenly while leaving some spots untouched. Especially when used for crafts and DIY projects, consistent heating can be the difference between completing an ironing project or having hours of hard work set back by a faulty soleplate.
- The iron heats up very quickly and can be used without fiddling with knobs and settings
- You can easily see the water level in the tank because of its clear design and marked exterior
- The soleplate is highly polished and easily glides over every fabric
- The auto-steam feature continually adjusts the steam output based off the temperature of the soleplate
- The iron tapers to a pronounced tip, which can easily iron hard-to-reach areas like seams, collars, and around buttons
- The iron works with tap water, so you don’t have to worry about buying expensive distilled water or other aftermarket cleaning products
- The thermostat knob is easy to use and provides precise temperature readings
- The vertical steam works great on drapes and other hanging fabrics
- The iron is very easy to use (find some tips here)
- The device comes with a built-in anti-calcium system that removes impurities in the water and cleans out the vents whenever the steam is activated
- The iron produces a lot of steam compared to other irons, making it easier to get wrinkles out of tough fabrics
- The iron has no automatic shutoff features, so the power will only turn off if you unplug the iron
- The fuel tank can be hard to refill depending on the type of sink you have
- When the iron is filled with water it feels heavy
One of the best steam irons currently on the market, the Rowenta offers a high-quality product at a competitive price point. Made in Germany, the iron has a sturdy European design and is built to last. The DW5197 is very popular among reviewers, 98 percent of all reviews give the Rowenta four stars or higher.
The iron combines all the capabilities of a regular Rowenta steam iron with the precision of a professional fashion designer’s tool. The DW5197 is an excellent choice for anyone looking for an iron to help with DIY projects or anyone who is simply looking for a great steam iron.