One of Panasonic’s most innovative products, the NI-E650 steam iron features Panasonic’s updated U-shape design, which helps promote steam circulation that cuts down on friction, making this iron very easy to use. When you look at the bottom of the NI-E650, and then compare it to a conventional steam iron, you’ll notice that there are many more steam vents and grooves than with any competing brand of iron. These steam vents and grooves evenly distribute steam along the underside of the iron, which increases the steaming rate by 25 percent. More steam means less friction and softer fabric, which makes ironing quicker, easier, and more effective.
Many users have commented that the NI-E650 operates smoothly and doesn’t produce as many wrinkles as a conventional iron. Panasonic’s patented U-shape reduces friction by concentrating the iron’s weight to the middle of the iron instead of the edges where it would drag and cause wrinkles. This means that the iron’s tip won’t catch on clothing when in use, making the operation feel smooth.
- The Panasonic NI-E650TR is a steam-dry iron
- Soleplate has a titanium finish
- Cord is retractable and built into the base
- Water tank can hold 10.2 ounces of water
- Iron measures 4.25 inches by 10.88 inches by 5.5 inches
- Three different auto-shutoff methods to prevent accidents
- Cord is seven feet long and retracts after a button is pushed
- Device weighs 3.3 pounds when empty
- Two buttons on the handle regular steam and water spray
- A dial underneath the handle regulates heat and fabric settings
- The body and water tank are made from durable purple plastic
Sporting a new design, the iron is well suited for conventional ironing along with vertical steaming. The raised heel improves the overall weight and balance of the iron, which helps the NI-E650 function properly. A poorly weighted iron will malfunction over time, so the NI-E650 has an extended lifetime compared to conventional irons. The iron’s self cleaning features extend the iron’s useful life without making you buy expensive cleaning products, so in the long run the NI-E650 will save you money.
- The retractable cord works well and is much longer than other steam-dry irons at a comparable price
- The iron heats up very fast and only takes two minutes to reach peak temperature
- The strong jet of steam feature works well when smoothing out heavily wrinkled fabric and is great on dress shirts
- The water tank is easy to fill and the iron can easily be held under a faucet to be refilled
- The smooth iron design helps to cut back on drag and glides across almost any type of fabric
- The iron doesn’t require distilled water or any other special type of fluid to function properly
- The burst of steam function works well on heavy and light fabrics, and doesn’t damage linen
- The iron comes equipped with an advanced auto-shutoff function that automatically turns the iron off after a minute if it’s left face-down or on its side
- The dial under the handle can be difficult to operate
- The iron isn’t designed to handle large drapery and other items that require big puffs of vertical steam
- Without proper maintenance, the iron might eventually leak water
One of the more popular irons currently manufactured by Panasonic, the NI-E650 has a 90-percent reviewer satisfaction rating. The retractable cord and the wide variety of steam functions make this household appliance a winner. The iron’s lightweight design and well-rounded list of features makes it one of the best steam irons on the market at any price point.