Are you looking for a healthy breakfast? Waffles are one of the all-time favorite and most common breakfast foods. Not only it’s delicious, it’s also packed with nutritional value. Waffles are pretty flexible when it comes to toppings or combinations. There are just unlimited fruits and spreads you can combine it with.
Waffles are made from flour, milk, butter, eggs, sugar, and baking power. It can come in different shapes and sizes depending on the waffle maker. The nutritional value of waffles will depend on the ingredients used. You can use whole grain flour instead of the regular one. To reduce the fat, cholesterol and caloric value, you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
5 Reasons Why It’s Awesome To Have Waffles For Breakfast
- Can be included in a healthy diet plan
- One serving of homemade waffles can be prepared in 15 minutes
- Ingredients are not hard to find unlike other breakfast foods
- You can enjoy different toppings on your waffles
- Ingredients can be adjusted depending on your diet plan
But of course, you should remember that waffles are not a complete meal so you have to eat more food to supplement the nutrients you need for a day. Sometimes, you might need extra time to make fresh waffles.
Recipe For The Best Waffles
If you still don’t know how to make the best waffles, here is the easiest 5-step process. To make 5-6 Belgian-style waffles you will need:
1 ¾ cups flour (whole grain flour for healthier alternative)
2 large eggs (4 egg whites for healthier alternative)
1 ¾ cups milk (can use same amount of non-fat milk)
½ cup melted butter
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Measuring cups and spoons
Get the bowl, and whisk in dry ingredients flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Get another bowl and beat the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. When mixed well, add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir them together until no clump is visible.
- When combined properly, let the batter sit for few minutes.
- While allowing your batter to develop, you can heat up your waffle iron. If your waffle is not non-stick, you can spray it with oil or brush it with butter (whichever you prefer). When the iron is ready, you can pour or ladle in batter enough to cover the entire surface. Make sure that you don’t over pour the batter or it will overflow once you close the top.
- Modern waffle irons have signal lights that indicate that your waffles are ready. A sure sign though is when the steam has stopped shooting out. Depends on your heat, it will take 3-5 minutes.
As you can see, it’s so easy to prepare and it will not take you more than 20 minutes to finish making 5-6 waffles.
Tips To Making Perfect Waffles
Remember these things to make sure that you only make the perfect waffles:
- Be familiar with the waffle maker you’re using. Read the instructions on how to use it, this is important to do for your safety and to perfectly make your waffles.
- If you ever wonder why your waffles stick to the pan, you can increase the oil or butter in your batter.
- To make a fluffy inside of your waffles, separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Add the yolks in the batter and fold the whites using a spatula in the final batter.
- The most accurate timer is the steam. Some waffle iron doesn’t have an indicator when your waffles are done yet, but this is not a problem. You can always check the steam, if there’s no more steam coming off, that’s an indication that it’s already done.
- The first batches of waffles that cooled off can be reheated in the oven so all of the waffles are still hot when you serve them.
Delicious Toppings Suggestions
If you think that waffles are too plain for daily consumption, there are a lot of toppings that you can choose from. Here are few that you will surely love:
- A mix of raspberries, bananas, whipped cream and maple syrup will surely make you want more waffles.
- Bananas, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, peanuts will make a great banana split twist with waffles. You may also add chocolate chips and whipped cream.
- Adding apple crisps, fresh whipped cream and salted caramel sauce on top will make a unique waffle for breakfast… or snacks.
- It doesn’t end with fruits and whipped cream. Top your waffles with bacon, cheese, or your favorite sausage too.
- A healthy treat for those who are weight watchers are toppings of avocados, seasoned beans, eggs, salsa, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
All of these are delightful treats and you will surely love it. Don’t be afraid to experiment and find your way to creating your own version of the world’s best waffles.